Welcome to the Sarasota Housing Authority
SHA welcomes you to our new web site. Please take a few moments to explore recent news coverage, our redevelopment activities as well as our housing and resident empowerment programs. We hope you will be impressed with all that SHA is doing in our community in partnership with our residents, local service providers, the community and local government support.
Did You Know?
- SHA is now designated as High Performer by HUD for both Public Housing and Section 8 for the first time ever, only seven years removed from being under federal receivership.
- SHA's Janie's Garden development won a gold medal for community design by the National Association of Home Builders.
- SHA has recently housed 85 homeless veterans in our community through the VASH Program.
- Our non profit is now completing and beginning to lease up 43 affordable apartments.
- Over 675 private landlords in this community lease units to families with a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.
- SHA provides affordable rental housing assistance to over 2,100 families in Sarasota, which is 757 more than in 2004!
- SHA manages an annual budget of over $16 million with 33 employees.
- SHA was awarded an Energy Star "Leadership in Affordable Housing Award" by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for promoting energy efficiency in affordable housing.
- SHA was the first housing authority in Florida with a LEED certified building - the Janie's Garden clubhouse, designed by Carlson Studio Architecture.