Pathways to a Better Life
The Sarasota Housing Authority has developed a pilot program, Pathways to a Better Life (PBL) that partners with families for the express purpose of breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty.
PBL is intended to assist low-income families in need of housing who voluntarily agree to work and/or be in school full time in order to put themselves and their children on a direct pathway to a better life. A two-generation approach will be utilized incorporating:
- Intensive case management to help guide and support the whole family achieve their goals;
- A major focus on early childhood education as well as education opportunities for parents;
- Economic supports with subsidized housing as well as savings accounts funded through monies the family would otherwise pay in rent as their income increases;
- Access to health screenings and services coordinated by the new Babies and Children’s Medical Center Clinic in the Glasser-Schoenbaum Center, just two blocks from our family development;
- Building on and enhancing social capital through parent networks.
Our program is built on four pillars:
- Belief in the ability of our residents
- The value of high expectations, for parents and children
- A two-generation strategy and approach to break the intergenerational cycle of poverty
- Taking ownership of and accountability for choices