Before applying for housing, please read the information below regarding Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher local preferences:
Public Housing Waiting List Preferences:
- A Pathway to a Better Life: 10 points (Only available to selected applicants)
- 12 (twelve) Months of Verified Employment Preference: 6 points (proof of employment verification required)
- Sarasota County Resident: 4 points
- Pre-admission Training Program: 3 points
- Preference for those who have not resided in HUD subsidized housing within the past 2 years: 3 points
- Possess a High School diploma or G.E.D.: 2 points
- Military veterans: 2 points We will contact you as you near the top of the wait list. If you are in need of immediate assistance, please contact United Way 211 for financial assistance and Salvation Army for shelter needs.
HCV Waiting List Preferences:
- Local Preference: 3 points (HOH or Spouse must live, work, or go to school in Sarasota County)
- Elderly/Disabled: 1 point (HOH or Spouse must be 62 or older or disabled by Social Security standards
- Active PH applicant at time of HCV application (1 point) (HOH must be an active applicant on the public housing waiting list at the time that they apply for the HCV list)
***IMPORTANT NOTE: THE HCV WAITING LIST WILL BE FORMED USING A RANDOM LOTTERY PROCESS. IF YOUR NAME IS SELECTED TO BE PART OF THE HCV WAITING LIST, YOU WILL RECEIVE A LETTER IN THE MAIL OR VIA EMAIL NOTIFYING YOU THAT YOU HAVE BEEN PLACED ON THE WAITING LIST. THIS WILL HAPPEN WITHIN 6 WEEKS OF THE DEADLINE TO APPLY.
Here are some tips to remember after you have applied for housing:
- Unless we contact you, there is nothing else for you to do at this time.
- Our average wait time for waitlist applicants, can range from 1-5 years.
- While waiting, your position may change as we receive new applications and/or process applicants. This is NORMAL.
- You may check your status at any time by visiting sarasotahousing.org/wlStatus
- Please make sure update our office in writing with any new mailing, phone, and email information.
All Public Housing wait lists are being purged. All applications will be moved to purge status pending receipt of the update forms. Update forms will be mailed out by 3/8/19. All purge forms will be due back on or by 4/15/2019. Failure to return your purge form by the deadline will require you to reapply.